Welcome to Frugal, Fit, and Fierce!

Monday, January 28, 2019

Loaded Cajun Cabbage & Sausage


Do you guys remember last week how I talked about making it my goal to figure out a cabbage and sausage recipe that was more than just the plain old "cabbage and sausage"? No? You can read that post by clicking here. But anyway... you guys. I think this one hit the nail on the head! It's delicious, easy, and TOTALLY not the normal cabbage and sausage that makes you say "blaaaah".


This recipe has a nice kick to it, a lot of great veggies to it, and alllllll the melty delicious cheese! What more could you ask for?! If you wanted to use this recipe as NOT Keto, you could always half the peppers and onions, and throw this over some rice! You could also do the same with cauliflower rice if you wanted to keep it Keto and wanted to use it in a different way. I personally just like to eat it as is!




The best part about this recipe is that everything is cooked, from start to finish, in one pan!!! I am a HUGE fan of this! Especially because most of my meals are made for meal prep, and I tend to be cooking 2-3 recipes in one day. I love the ease and convenience of being able to throw everything into one pan and not have to worry about washing a ton of dishes!




Please excuse the mess in the pictures. I tend to be a SUPER messy cook! Am I the only one?! Some days after meal prepping, I'm so tired that I just can't clean up, and my husband does it for me. He is such a peach! A saint! I don't know how he puts up with all my BS. 😂 I sure love him! How did I get so lucky?! Anyway, Let's get on to this recipe!




Ingredients:
1 large, or 2 small heads of cabbage, chopped in small slices
14 oz smoked sausage, low carb and low sugar, sliced
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped in half and then sliced
2 green bell peppers, chopped in large strips
2 red bell peppers, chopped in large strips
Cajun seasoning, recipe here
1 cup chicken broth
2 cups Colby Jack cheese

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 F
2. In a large cast iron or oven-safe skillet, heat olive oil over medium/high heat.
3. Add smoked sausage and cook until browned.
4. Throw in peppers and onion, and cook until onion is transparent and peppers are soft.
5. Pour in the chicken broth, then add half of the cabbage and half of the Cajun seasoning.
6. Cover and let cook until cabbage begins to wilt, then add in the rest of the cabbage and seasoning.
7. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until cabbage is wilted, but not completely soft.
8. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top and throw into the oven until cheese has melted, 3-5 minutes.
9. Serve hot! If you don't want the extra juices, use a slotted spoon to serve. Or scoop into meal prep containers and eat throughout the week!




I hope you love this recipe! And I hope I've proven to you all that I can keep my word. 😉 For more Keto dishes and meal prep, follow this blog, or follow me on Pinterest!

Lots of love,

No comments:

Post a Comment