Welcome to Frugal, Fit, and Fierce!

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Creamy Sausage & Broccoli Casserole



My husband mentioned earlier this week that he wanted to do a cabbage and sausage dish for meal prep this week. But, you know what, I just really wasn't feeling the whole cabbage idea. Not that I don't like cabbage. I love cabbage! I love most vegetables, let's be real here. But I just wasn't really in the mood. Especially since most of the cabbage and sausage dishes I have made in the past have been.... blah. They are just straight up cabbage and sausage. With seasonings. And butter/olive oil.


I mean, I'm sure that I could figure out another recipe to spice up the regular cabbage and sausage dish... in fact, I'm going to make that my goal! Come the next week or two, mark my words, I'm going to make a cabbage and sausage dish that have a few additional items to spice it up! Haha. But anyway, that is not at all the point of this. 😜


The point is, I just didn't want cabbage this time! 😅 Broccoli, for some reason, just sounded way better! I was kinda craving something that had a little more crunch; a little more bite. Plus, I just love the taste of broccoli. Isn't it just delicious?! Like I said earlier... I'm just a veggie lover all around. Broccoli is definitely one of my faves, though.



Now, I'm also always a fan of all things creamy and cheesy. If I could have creamy and cheesy in every single meal, I would. In fact, I probably make creamy and cheesy dishes more than my husband would like. I try to refrain from making too many, but I just can't help it sometimes! It's just so yummy! And this is also one of the reasons I struggled with eating Paleo. As much as I loved the concept, I just can't give up the cheese and dairy! Keto is my friend, because of this. It's basically the same as Paleo, but with the dairy. Thank the dietary Gods!




This recipe is super easy to throw together. It doesn't have a lot of prep time, and it doesn't have a ton of veggies to chop and prepare. I'm sure you could even use frozen broccoli and thaw it out if you didn't want to chop any. I'm not a huge fan of frozen, but it's mostly because you end up with a ton of stems and not a ton of trees. I like the trees! I need my greenery!

Anyway, this recipe can be thrown together really quickly! I used it for meal prep for the week, but it can also be used as a full-on dinner, or even used just as a side! I do suggest that if you use it as the main dish for your dinner, that you maybe have a salad on the side, as well. It's not THE most substantial dish. But it is delicious, nonetheless!



1-2-3! RE-CI-PE!!!


Ingredients:
3-4 large bunches of broccoli, chopped into bite-size pieces (I use broccoli crowns because I'm not a huge fan of the stems)
12 oz Kielbasa sausage, sliced into rings
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
12 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp garlic powder
8 oz shredded cheese

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Put broccoli into a large microwave safe bowl. Put about 3 tablespoons of water in the bowl, and cover tightly with saran wrap. Microwave for 3 minutes, and let sit in the bowl for an additional 2 minutes to continue to steam.
3. While broccoli is steaming, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until browned.
4. In a separate bowl, mix cream cheese, sour cream, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Taste, and adjust seasonings according to your taste.
5. Add sausage and cream cheese mixture into the bowl with the steamed broccoli. Mix together until it is all incorporated
6. Pour into a greased oven-safe dish. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top, and bake uncovered for about 10-15 minutes, or until the shredded cheese has melted and it is heated through and bubbling.
7. Serve hot! Have a little salad on the side and call it dinner! Or separate into 4 meal prep containers and eat throughout the week!




I hope you enjoy this recipe!! If you'd like more simple, easy, keto, and cheap recipes, follow this blog, or follow me on Pinterest! I have a ton of meal prepping and keto ideas! Bon Appetit!


Yours Truly,

No comments:

Post a Comment